[elearning] School friendly social networking for a class activity

Michael Torsello mtorsello at sfx.vic.edu.au
Mon May 14 11:30:01 EST 2012

Sorry for the cross-posting but I wanted to tap into as many minds as possible.

I received this request from an English teacher today and am looking for tips on how to approach it.

"I am planning for a year 9 Wider reading assignment and I thought you may be able to help me out. My idea was for the students to select a main character from their novel and create a 'facebook' style website or social media page however I am not sure what site or program to use. Obviously the site will need to be 'school safe'. This way they can create a profile , events, status, likes, friends etc pages to show their knowledge of the book that they have read in a mode to which they are familiar and confident."

My first thought is to create a web page template that the students could use but then thought I doubt I have the expertise to cover all the wanted aspects and it may have already have been done for me.

Are there any school friendly sites that would allow such an activity?

With thanks,
Michael Torsello
Director of Innovation (eLearning)
[St Francis Xavier College]
PO Box 85, Beaconsfield, VIC 3807
Telephone +61 3 9707 3111
Facsimile +61 3 9707 3601
[St Francis Xavier College]<http://www.sfx.vic.edu.au/>

The contents of this email are confidential. Any unauthorised use of the content is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please advise by reply email immediately and then delete/destroy the email and any printed copies.