[elearning] Post-NSSCF 1:1 Programs

Threadgold, Duncan M Threadgold.Duncan.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Dec 5 17:05:29 EST 2012

Hi all,

Hope the end of the year is treating everyone well.

We're currently in the same situation as many secondary schools - wondering how we will maintain a 1:1 program in a post-NSSCF era. At the moment we have 24/7 1:1 netbooks at Year 11 & 12, and netbook trolleys across the rest of the school. Replacing these devices in the absence of NSSCF funding will obviously be very expensive, and the school is looking at ways to reduce or subsidise this cost.

BYOD is one possibility, but for now we're just examining our options for continuing with school-owned devices. One of the possibilities is for a parent-contribution model, in which Year 7-12 parents pay an annual fee for their son/daughter to have access to a netbook (or tablet, but that's another story!) both in class and at home.

The problem we can see with this model is what happens when parents don't pay the contribution. If the non-payers aren't allowed to take it home, we would still need to purchase a device for them to use in class. If we don't even give them a device to use in class, this raises a number of issues for teachers who plan lessons around the technology, not to mention the social justice issues for students from poorer backgrounds.

This is where we are hoping for some suggestions from other schools with a 1:1 program... what are other schools doing when parents don't pay the fee? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Duncan Threadgold
ICT Leader
Fountain Gate Secondary College