[elearning] BYO device? [Spam score:12%]

Oliver Murray omurray at gegs.wa.edu.au
Wed Jul 6 10:46:40 EST 2011

Great discussion
I think you have nailed it with  "Pretty soon we will be saying to students "And you need an internet capable device that can do A,B,C.""

Hopefully schools spent their DER on cost funding with this in mind and covered their sites with easy to access robust and reliable high speed wireless access to the internet and the biggest fattest pipe they could get rather than build a state of the art data center and implement more measure to control student ICT use (aka getting in the way of learning)

With duty of care and examinations this is a tricky area but inevitable ($ will override the moral high ground) all we need are few brave school to lead.

With respect to
"I think it is ironic that teachers that railed against the dominance of Microsoft in schools are now insisting on iPads rather than "a tablet".
The iPad and other apple device are focussed on the user as opposed to the corporation. It all about users experience being the primary concern rather  than the primary concern being ease of rolling out identical units that can be centrally controlled. Use cloud storage and if they experiment with every setting and stop the unit working, reset and start again, freedom and experimentation sounds like a great way to learn ;-)

On a similar topic I recently collected a logo creation task and put no restrictions on software.
Every student created a unique and wonderful logo and the software included paint, word, publisher, photoshop, illustrator

Regards,

Oliver Murray
Head of ICT