[elearning] netbooks going home

Mark Pleasance mpleasance at shcgeelong.catholic.edu.au
Wed Oct 20 10:00:19 EST 2010

Hi Charmaine,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Taylor, Charmaine C <
taylor.charmaine.c at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> We are using netbooks for year 7s in 2011 and are considering allowing them
> to be taken home.
>
> Does anyone have any advice or info about:
>
> a.       Do you charge a fee eg $100 for netbook use out of school hours

Yes, our Year 7's pay a fee for their computers. Be a little careful if DER
money has been used to purchase these machines as we have been told it is
not appropriate within the guidelines of the program.

> b.      Do you have a contract for parents to sign agreeing to pay for any
> damage?

Definitely. Effectively it says;

If you break the screen it costs $XXX, if you pour liquid on the laptop it
costs $XXX, etc so there are no surprises when accidents happen. We do offer
insurance against this too. It also covers acceptable use, student
responsibilities, incident reports, etc which both the parent and student
sign.

Mark

--
Mark Pleasance