[elearning] Photography darkrooms v Mac lab

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 21 14:57:33 EST 2009

Gidday Blaise,
This shouldn't become a argument based around film versus digital. I
do happen to agree with you, that film and darkrooms will be dead
within the next 7 years. Chemicals and traditional products will
simply not be viable for the manufacturers to maintain other than in
niche modes and of course that means the $$ will skyrocket as those
that maintain production will not only have a much smaller market, but
pretty much no competition. There will be those desperate to hang on
to traditional methods, but the companies that make the stuff will
become more and more select and at some point it just won't become
viable for schools to continue. It is sad, in a way - having spent
quite a bit of time in the dark room and having started photography
with that first  magical moment of seeing my first pin-hole camera
image in the school cleaners cupboard. However commercial decisions
will dictate the direction and the opinion of most of the photographic
community is pretty much that regardless of a nostalgic desire, film
is dead. Even if you can buy the film, try buying a camera to put it
in these days. As the schools venerable Pentax K1000's slowly die, you
will be hard pressed to buy a camera to replace them unless you go
second hand.
The market has spoken and it doesn't care too much for traditional
methods.
HOWEVER
you must still trust and accept the judgement and needs of the
teachers involved. It is their area, they need to teach it and if they
still believe that there is merit in the darkroom then you must go
along with them. (Let me guess, I bet they also demand Photoshop
because it is the "industry standard"?)
You can simply offer them what you are capable of providing in terms
of technology and if they can't provide an alternative arrangement or
location then they miss out for the time being.
The move to digital technology has been very hard on lots of
photography teachers who have seen their skills with regard to the
tools of the trade depricated almost overnight. I acknowledge that
many have "kept up" with the ridiculous pace of change, but it is
taking it's toll and you need to be sympathetic to them.
Quite a few photography teachers have all really struggled as their
skill set has not kept pace. Like all teachers, they are time-poor and
you know how complicated it is to get your head around the aspects of
digital imaging. Once they were experts, now they are novices again.
Don't force them. It will die, maybe not as quick as you like, but
give it time. Let them make the decision as to what works for them at
the moment. While it may not be what you want, you sometimes need to
allow evolution, not revolution.
Some schools can make the jump, many make a transition, and some hang
on for dear life to the old ways. Let those that have to use the stuff
make the decision.
Cheers
Cameron