[elearning] 1:1 which way do we go?

Kevork Krozian K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 17 10:44:32 EST 2009

Hi Folks,

 There is also the issue of software licenses. If students buy/lease their own devices without the benefit of school site licenses they - or someone - then has to spend a fortune to get the software legally onto the student netbooks.
 It seems to me the best option for schools is/are:
   1. Consider a slightly higher quality standard device like a Lenovo S10e so it could be a standard for all year levels as well as handle higher demand apps as well as good level graphics capability screen
   2. Purchase netbooks and load software under the site license arrangement
   3. Lease these to students over a 2-3 year term taking into account maintenance , servicing , reimaging and warranty facilitation.
   4. According to available advice there is scope with this arrangement for parents to claim the $750 per year Educational Tax Refund ( total of $1500 for 2 years ) . See http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/00174278.htm

  As for the Rudd money specifically, I am not sure if there is any impediment for schools to use some of these funds to help setup the above program. Perhaps others can comment on that aspect.

Take Care

Kevork Krozian
Digital Learning Manager
Forest Hill College