[elearning] Acer Aspire One - Rudd money

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 21:46:31 EST 2008

Wow, infinite funding. The mind boggles at the prospect of a blank cheque
for any organisation.

Interesting observation Ken although if you discount the price of the OS,
the machine is still far too cheap.

We had a good laugh on another list about the future of this per-device
contract .. consideration was given to licences on potential devices such as
virtual machines, licences on ultra-small devices such as portables, usb
keys and licences on devices that would never run another OS such as a linux
proxy server such as EduPASS. In the end, it would make more sense to do an
audit and licence what has been used, not just the potential of a device to
run the OS.

Perhaps this will go the way of the milk that I was once mandated to drink
each day at school, pyramids of goodness that had been warmed in the sun and
found a ready target at the school incinerator.

Say, did you spot the interesting typo in the press release? The department
will deploy with the CASES rollout both Vista 2008 and "Sever 2008" .. ouch!

Regards Roland