[elearning] Acer Aspire One - Rudd money

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 00:21:00 EST 2008

Mark is right, this is very odd pricing. The ACER Aspire one WIndows XP
version is priced at least $150 more on some of the overseas websites I
checked. The hardware is diffent but not remarkably so. From what I could
see, the CPU's are similar except the linux version comes with a more robust
8Gb flash memory drive with no moving parts and 512MB of RAM, the Windows
version comes with 1Gb of RAM.
     http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,339290036,00.htm

If WIndows XP costs $250, does this make the laptops only $60? Whilst users
can still purchase a copy of WIndows XP from Harris Technology, perhaps Mark
is right to spot a goldmine for Windows XP licence purchases. Something
doesnt sit right and I am suspictious of what might be going on.
     http://tinyurl.com/5m8xj8 (Buy XP at HP)

I would hate to point the bone but if a seller is pricing the different
units much higher than is reasonable or fair (price gouging) or if they are
selling a product at very low price with the intent of driving competitors
out of the market or to create a barrier to entry for new competitors
(predatory pricing) then what they are doing is probably quite illegal under
anti-trust laws.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_pricing

"He who pays the piper can call the tune". In any case, users can pick the
cheaper laptop and still pick their own operating system, golly they can
even downgrade fr. Good competition drives prices down, not market
manipulation by an oligopolistic industry. We already have Linux running on
our OLPC, eeePCs and library terminals. Not a big deal, it works.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au