[elearning] mac vrs pc

Russell Curr RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 08:09:10 EST 2008

Rachelle,

We are a dual platfomr school using both Macs and PC's.  We have Macs in the art room, and 42 Mac laptops around the school.  We use NeoOffice on the Macs and students and staff have little trouble moving between platforms.  Students have adapted quite quickly.  We use StarOffice on the windows machines which provides file compatibility between systems.

We use Novell and we have the Macs authenticating to the Netware server so students/staff can login to either Macs or Windows and still access their home folders.

Many staff purchased Mac laptops last year and have adapted very well.

Some staff are using VMware to run Windows apps on their Macs and this appears to be getting popular.

If I can be of any further assistance contact me direct.

cheers
Russell

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> Mclean.Rachelle.L at edumail.vic.gov.au 02/25/08 3:03 pm >>>
Hi All,

We are considering replacing a computer lab of 26 machines with Macs and
are trying to weigh up the benefits and costs.  This isn't in the art
wing, so significant PD will have to go into skilling up staff on Macs
if we do decide to go down this path.

Has any of your schools looked at this option?

Cheers,

Rachelle McLean

Karingal Park Secondary College