[Design and Technology] Online teaching and managing Prac component

Elizabeth Keep ekeep at pgs.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 02:18:08 UTC 2020

Thanks Felicity,

Have just watched Daniel Andrews update from this morning and now realise that all of term 2 will be online so at least that makes it clearer and something to plan towards.

Good to see that small groups of students for practical classes are able to attend school for several lessons so this may get the year 12’s through although can this be everyday for PDT I guess my school will need to address that.

I was thinking exactly the same with my Unit 1 students to begin the folio for Unit 2 and complete that ready for production in both terms 3 and 4. This would make sense as I’m sure that school won’t be allowing them to attend the workshop but will wait to hear directly. I like the idea of the foamcore prototypes. My Unit 1 students all began with a standard lamp and redesigning. We could do some prototype shades or something that could be laser cut and assembled. I was thinking even using clay or some modelling compound as the lamps are more organic shapes than geometric.

My year 9’s are making flatpack stools/tables so can do that and laser cut at school.

My year 10’s are creating an ‘organic wall-mounted functional piece’ (deliberately left it open so it could be mirror, coat hooks, book case etc) I guess this could be done on laser cutter from ply and  Perspex even.

Thanks for ideas Felicity. Always good to get ideas from others.

What are others thinking of doing?

Cheers,
Liz

Elizabeth Keep
Teacher

20 Wooralla Drive, Mt. Eliza, Vic, 3930

T: 03 9788 7825  | ekeep at pgs.vic.edu.au | http://www.peninsulagrammar.vic.edu.au
Registered CRICOS Provider: 00333A | ABN 28 004 451 192

[cid:enrolling-now_84da7dcc-dc08-47f5-9f3a-f86f1a6da08b.gif]

[cid:facebook_897ee79a-b8e5-4a60-8866-df9cf0ec3ed8.gif]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Peninsula-School/118935504829400?ref=hl> [cid:twitter_94855b43-9f9f-4748-ad70-fdda3e250bf0.gif] <https://twitter.com/TPSMtEliza>  [cid:linkedin_c592718a-a160-45bf-84fd-05b993233cd7.gif] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-peninsula-school>  [cid:youtube_d699e7a6-53e3-4ee8-b466-afb71d625609.gif] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePeninsulaSchool>

Please consider the environment before printing this email, you will save 5g of paper, 250mL of water and at least 35gm of CO2

The Peninsula School ACN 004 451 192 trading as Peninsula Grammar. This message, including any attachments, is provided without responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without assumption of a duty of care by the school. Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure material in this e-mail message is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes responsibility for the use of the material transmitted. This e-mail is intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination, distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If this e-mail has been received in error then please notify Peninsula Grammar immediately and destroy the original message.