[Design and Technology] Thoughts on pattern modification

David Pitt dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 16 01:34:04 UTC 2018

Hi Brains Trust,

Was interested in hearing thoughts on students who want to modify existing patterns in a 3/4 SAT, attributing sources of IP.

If a student identifies a highly complex design for which a core "type" exists, and looks to it with a view to using it as a template for future design work, is it essential that they work from scratch to develop their working drawings, or can they adapt existing designs with full reference to the IP and copyright of the original source.

I have my suspicions, but I'd like to canvas how others approach this issue.

Kind regards,

David Pitt Teacher
[mail_sig]

T +61 3 9807 8888
E dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au<mailto:dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au>
W http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au<http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au/>
77 Waimarie Drive, Mount Waverley, Victoria 3149, Australia

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or telephone, and destroy the original message. Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material contained in this e-mail is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.