[Design and Technology] Looking for ideas

Arnott, Suzanne S arnott.suzanne.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Apr 17 19:19:50 EDT 2018

Through a range of issues which I won’t go into here we are, like many schools, losing many of our traditional technology subjects…
we are a multi campus college so seniors and juniors seldom get the connections… of course classes won’t run with less than 25… so PDT has not run for a few years in either wood or textiles
This year year 8 Textiles was removed… so we have 6 months of Textiles before electives at Year 9… I won’t go into the blocking…. but arghhh… we have not had Year 9 run for a few years either… due to decisions beyond our control.
Even Food tech has dropped numbers

I am wanting to think outside the box… ideas to re develop technology… and inspire students to think creatively….
Do I start to think of materials tech…. and embrace resistant and non resistant in the same classes, but focus on design thinking, and product development….
How have people approached these changes coming from above…. I want to see our area grow, so took on the Domain Leadership this year…. but feel I need some fresh ideas to take to the leadership team.
I am comfortable teaching wood and metal (although it has been many years) I can also see the design approach working too...

Regards,

Suzanne Arnott

Technology Domain Leader
Visual Arts and TextilesTeacher,
VET FashionTrainer
Adobe EducationTrainer

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D39E92.A3361240]

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.