[Design and Technology] Bibliography for images

Jo Roszkowski roszkowskij at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Tue Feb 2 13:42:31 AEDT 2016

Hi all
This is a little contrary to what I've told my students in the past - that some acknowledgement is better than no acknowledgment at all..... i.e.. a bibliography at the end of the folio...
 with students using search engines like Google or even Pinterest they would often need to dig VERY deep to get to the original source if that image has been shared through a few blogs etc... and in the end may put them off using a great picture.  What do other teachers think?
Cheers, Jo

>>> "Jacinta O'Leary" <jacinta.oleary at gmail.com> 02/02/16 11:48 AM >>>
HI Liz
Remember that a bibliography is not required for the SAT, it's the citing of sources and acknowledgement of IP that is required. A bibliography is good for sources of information and of course can be included, however, acknowledging the IP of a person's work is best done next to the image

I believe that in the SAT, acknowledgement should be done nearby. For example, if a student has a lot of information about materials then the sources could go straight under it. If the students has images of some-one's work, then it should be very clear on the same page whose work it is.

Also, saying that the image came from Google Images is not acknowledging the creator of the work. Students need to dig deeper. Of course this is far easier in fashion than for furniture, but students can still attempt to at least find the company that manufactures furniture if not the designer.

hope this isn't too confusing and helps.

regards, Jacinta