[Design and Technology] Which 3D printer to buy

Travis Burroughs travis.burroughs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:23:48 AEST 2015

Stuart,

There are tons of options out there. I would try to get my hands on a copy
> of the Make magazine 2015 3D printer buyers guide. (
> http://www.makershed.com/products/make-magazine-volume-42) It goes over
> everything you need to know about the different printers. If you are new to
> the idea of 3D printing and want a great machine that works with no fuss I
> would get the Ultimaker 2. If you are tech savvy i would look at picking
> up 2 lower cost machines. After getting my first printer i realized very
> quickly that i needed more to cover the student need. If you are super tech
> savvy look at buying some Prusa I3 kits. They are great printers that you
> can get out of China for about $500 there is some assembly required. I
> would make sure that any machine you buy does not use preparatory
> filament.  I had a Stratasys Uprint that used a special filament when the
> school got it we were paying $50 a roll for filament, after a year the
> price went up to $250 a roll. Be careful of the new Stratasys Makerbots
> they use a preparatory filament and are having serious issues with their
> extruders.

If you have any other questions let me know. If you are interested in the
Prusa I3 Machines, the Footscary Makerlab 3D printing meet up group is
planning on doing a build your own 3D printer workshop next month.

Travis Burroughs
Copperfield College