[Design and Technology] Which 3D printer to buy

Mcintyre, Stuart S mcintyre.stuart.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jul 28 15:54:27 AEST 2015

Hi all,
I'm planning on buying a 3D printer later this year and am wondering which one to buy. Do I get one in the range of 3K(possible the Ultimaker if people give it good reviews), or go the cheaper option to start with and maybe get an "UP" of some sorts and save money for now. I've been looking at lots of reviews and it seems to be a minefield of info. I think my only criteria at the moment would be that I'd like it enclosed and have a heated bed. Also, are these the main criteria that I should be looking for. I've heard other criteria like cost of filament/using unbranded filament dual heads etc.. are also important to some people. The main makes that I've heard of seem to be "UP", Makerbot, Ultimaker and Robox(which is apparently new and being supplied by Wiltronics).
It's a nice problem to have, having to choose which 3d printer to get, but also a little frustrating.
If anyone wants to put in their opinion/words of wisdom, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Stuart

Stuart McIntyre
Learning Area Leader - Arts/Technology