[Design and Technology] Re PD&T SAT criteria

Lisa Walsh lisaw at avilacollege.vic.edu.au
Mon Nov 24 23:26:19 EST 2014

Dear Leanne,

I would like to add another voice to Melissa’s recommendations. I too
believe that the weighting of the assessment criteria does not accurately
reflect the scope of work involved at each stage of the Product design
process as undertaken by each student. It would be much more logical if the
assessment criteria would better reflect the steps of Pdp and provide for a
higher weighting to the manufactured product. Clearly the VCAA does not
have a problem with making changes during the non review period. The SAT
assessment is flawed and should be reviewed before the next assessment
period.

Further to Melissa’s recommendations, I still find it bewildering that
students design capabilities are ultimately being re-assessed within the
frustrating, unrealistic time constraints of the examination. The
examination requires such a high volume of written responses on top of the
design task which requires extensive annotations. When students have been
encouraged to deliberate and refine during each stage of the Pdp throughout
Units 3&4, it seems inequitable to have the common design task potentially
compromise a student's SAT grades and the considered opinion of their
teacher’s assessments.

Thanks for you consideration,

*Lisa Walsh*
Design & Technology