[Design and Technology] Fwd: [esnet] Cold and warping issues on the UP!, print speed

Scott Phillips scott at the-robots-are-coming.com
Sun Jun 8 12:38:59 EST 2014

What I've found with the schools that I teach at is that the simplest
solution to this is to throw a large clear plastic storage container over
the top of the UP Plus to avoid drafts and to keep the heated bed at the
correct temperature.

Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS plastic) shrinks as it cools.  This
causes two issues.  Firstly, excessive shrinking as the plastic comes into
contact with the bed can cause the print to not stick.  If the print
delaminates then it's all over, Rover, and if unattended will result in a
"bird's nest" of extruded filament.  Secondly, excessive shrinking in later
layers can cause the print to "boat" or curl upwards towards the print
head.  This causes deformation in the print and also causes subsequent
layers to get squashed.  If your object was oriented with a flat base at
the bottom then your base is not going to be flat.

The heated bed in the UP Plus is quite good though.  I've used machines
where the bed doesn't have enough power to keep the required temperature
and that can be a problem, and one of my schools has a machine with a
non-heated bed, which is next to useless.  It restricts you to using PLA
(PolyLactic Acid) which can be somewhat difficult to print with.  For
affordability and performance, ABS is the way to go.

Scott Phillips
scott at the-robots-are-coming.com
0417 592299
 <http://www.the-robots-are-coming.com>