[Design and Technology] Student production and commercial plans

Lisa Walsh lisaw at avilacollege.vic.edu.au
Sat Feb 15 22:44:43 EST 2014

Dear David,
Are you asking whether a student might use the "plans" without any design
development of their own? My understanding of the integrity of the Product
Design & Technology course is that students are to develop "three to six
potential solutions" using "creative and critical thinking techniques" in
the process. Also that the design and subsequent product should satisfy the
"needs and requirements" of a particular "client/end user". My
understanding is that a good design incorporates the functional needs of
the client, has an appealing aesthetic for the client, shows the use of
appropriate materials and processes to achieve the best possible quality
and incorporates cleverness or innovation. Some "complex processes" should
be involved. I cannot see how these aspects can be satisfied by the use of
another designer's plans. As a textiles teacher, students use patterns only
as a starting point, as designers in industry also do, and then students
develop them into their own patterns to reflect their unique design
aesthetic and then further following client fittings and alterations. I
have been teaching PD&T for several years and I am also "the department" as
many of us are...I hope this helps.
Regards,
Lisa Walsh