[Design and Technology] metal work

Judy Moore admin at datta.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 10 17:03:54 EST 2013

Hi Frank,
I will put this out on the edulist.

Regards,
Judy

From: Burgers, Franciscus A
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:48 PM
To: admin at datta.vic.edu.au
Cc: Olley, Jean M
Subject: metal work

Hi there,

I’m in a bit of a pickle. I teach in a small country secondary school (P-12 actually). We have great facilities, including 5 welding bays and a courtyard area for grinding, etc. This was set up in response to student demand over the last decade. However, we had an OH&S audit and were informed that supervision of the 2 areas is inadequate, limiting my ability to deliver welding projects. I relied on welding projects as this is a sufficiently flexible means of working with metal (and student interest) to allow for creative design work and the development of design briefs.

At times I have secured the aid of a community volunteer to assist with supervision, but this cannot be relied upon.

Currently I am required to adjust unit documentation for year 10 metal work and am somewhat at a loss for design orientated projects not using welding in its production. The other resource I have available is sheet metal; a magna folder, guillotine and rollers.  Would you be able to put me in touch with someone who works extensively with sheet metal?

Kind regards,

Frank Burgers

Bright P-12 College.