[Design and Technology] 3D Printer

Katie Harris kharris at aitkencollege.edu.au
Mon Mar 25 15:31:57 EST 2013

Hi all,

I purchased two Ultimakers this year. Ultimaker 3d printers come as a flat pack kit that you build (not such a simple task, though here's a cute video of some Dutch primary school kids making it happen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elp1FeZpqFQ&feature=youtu.be).

There are plenty of options available, ranging from around $1000 upwards. I chose Ultimaker because it is an open sourced system (so I can buy PLA from any source, or use ABS and customise the machine as I go along to suit my needs, it also means I have a lot more control over build speed, wall thickness and density of the print).

Up, Makerbot  and Leapfrog are also worth looking at. If you're thinking about it for the future, I would say put it in your budget proposals now! It took me a while to get funding approval.

Prior to this I had been getting 3d printing jobs outsourced but this was really costly and meant that students were a bit too removed from the process (i.e. they couldn't see it happening).

Hope this helps :)

Kind regards,

Katie Harris

Head of Faculty - Technology