[Design and Technology] Neededing help setting up the material technology area

Pitt, David pi at camhigh.vic.edu.au
Sat Aug 10 11:33:20 EST 2013

Hi Emy,

A lot of the considerations around Woodwork/metalwork tools and machinery will depend on a) the budget you have available, and b) the projects you plan to run.  Mostly the budget, as the "What machinery" question is kind of like "How long is a piece of string".

Hare and Forbes - http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Home are a good machinery supplier, and are quite comprehensive
Carbatec- http://www.carbatec.com.au/ also supply a wide range, and can order more (often just re-branded H&F and etc.)
Leda Machinery - http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/ are one of my preferred machinery places - a cut above on quality but more expensive.
Woodfast - http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php is another aussie reputable supplier, though I don't own anything from them.

Also, never forget the overpriced but easy Tools for Schools - http://toolsforschools.com.au/ - who will set you up with most of your consumables and so on, as well as link you with machinery gear suppliers.  Often, they just buy from carbatec/h&F and add a surcharge for getting it to you, so if you can do the leg work, you can save some money.

Regarding layout and tools required, it really depends on how you plan to teach the subject, what kind of projects the students seem likely to do under your project structure and so on.  It can be very minimal, or a full industrial setup within the study design, so it's important to have a plan for the course if you're starting from scratch.  E.g.  If you're happy to buy all dimensioned timber planed and dressed to size, you can mostly do without a thicknesser and jointer/buzzer.  So.  yeah.

i'm happy to give you more advice as you need (i could email you some photographs from our setup?- feel free to email pi at camhigh.vic.edu.au.

Regards,
David.