[Design and Technology] VCE Product Design and Technology: Reminder and clarifications

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 13 10:27:56 EST 2012

Dear colleague

First of all: a reminder that you can register for the VCAA free Product Design and Technology SAT Information Session on 4 March using the link at http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/correspondence/notices/2012/03.html

Secondly: I'd like to clarify a couple of things regarding the VCE Product Design and Technology School-assessed Task, following questions I've received from teachers as they take a closer look at the study design and February VCAA Bulletin Supplement 1.

Question: The SAT has 9 assessment criteria and is marked out of 45; does this mean the SAT contributes 45 per cent to the study score?
No. The VCE Product Design and Technology study design clearly states on page 37 that the School-assessed Task contributes 50 per cent of the study score. This is repeated on page 51 of the February VCAA Bulletin, Supplement 1.
The mark allocation for the School-assessed Task is different to the percentage allocation of the School-assessed Tasks, as is the case in most other subjects with a SAT. For example in Visual Communication and Design, the 2012 SAT contributes 33% to the final study score, but has 8 criteria and therefore the total score possible for the SAT is 40. It just so happens that in the past for Design and Technology, there has been a one-to-one correlation between the percentage contribution to the final study score (50%) and the total score for the SAT (i.e. 50, having had 10 criteria each marked out of 5).

Schools will enter (in VASS) the score each student has achieved (out of 45) for the School-assessed Task for Product Design and Technology, and VCAA will make the calculation of that score to the equivalent percentage allocation towards the student's final study score.

Question: Please explain the 'four-part' evaluation criteria on page 30 of the Product Design and Technology Study Design (Unit 3, Outcome 3)
Reference is made to 'four part evaluation criteria' in the Unit 3, Outcome 3, sixth key knowledge dot point. The parts of the four-part evaluation criteria are listed in Unit 3, Outcome 1, seventh key knowledge dot point. They are also listed in the Product Design and Technology School-assessed Task 'Scope of the task' in the VCAA February Bulletin Supplement 1 2012 Administrative advice for school-based assessment (page 51).
They are:

  *   the evaluation criterion written as a question
  *   its justification and relevance to the design brief
  *   how it could be achieved
  *   how the completed product could be tested or checked against the criteria.

A few points to keep in mind.

  *   These are for the evaluation of the finished product - developed from the design brief.
  *   'How it could be achieved' refers to what the student (designer) will do, i.e. the actions the student (designer) will take during the Product design process to ensure the criterion can be achieved. For example if a budget has been specified in the design brief, the student (designer) will need to state what will be done to ensure the budget will be adhered to and not exceeded. The question the student (designer) would ask is 'What will I need to do to make sure this....'thing' (whatever the criteria relates to) can be achieved/met?' (It requires anticipatory thinking about forward planning.)
  *   These four parts have been done previously by students in Design and Technology, but were not as explicit as they are in the new Product Design and Technology Study Design.

*         When covering the content and designing the assessment task for Unit 3, Outcome 1 consider if the third part of the four-part evaluation criteria 'how it could be achieved' could tie in with other dot points in the key knowledge and key skills, for example KK 6 and 8; KS 5 (in particular, the activities a designer would undertake).

Please contact me preferably by email if you have any questions about the above or other questions about the new study design.

Regards,

Lorraine Tran I Curriculum Manager, Technologies

VELS Design, Creativity and Technology
VCE Agricultural and Horticultural Studies I VCE Food and Technology
VCE Product Design and Technology I VCE Systems Engineering

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au

* (03) 9651 4407   0400833521
* tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au<mailto:tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au>

 The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority provides high quality curriculum, assessment and reporting that promotes individual life long learning.