[Design and Technology] The New study design ?!?

Paul Haydock docca1 at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 23:27:02 EST 2011

Hi Lorraine and other Design Technology teachers,

After looking over the new study guide for design and technology, I feel that even though the study guide is good and challenging for the students and does tidy up the current curriculum, one area I believe we are failing to recognise and promote is students making, developing and delivering an item or product that is purposely created as a discussion piece or as art. I enjoy when students immerse themselves in a topic or discussion piece and create an item that allows them to express themselves through that item. Instead of asking the student 'how can this product make life easier, better or more convenient' I believe it's just as valuable to ask the students to show their emotions character and feelings in an item that allows others to ask why it was made, and how does this make you feel.
This works extremely well in the digital arts and studio arts subjects as displayed in exhibitions such as top arts etc...
Is the new study guide designed to move students away from traditional trade type skills and artistic ways of thinking in order to move them towards greater university opportunities?
I feel it is almost time to break these subjects up into their own identities and allow them to take shape on their own instead of placing everything under the one hat and not allowing the students to embrace their own pathways and passions. If students want to create a new product then they should study product design, if they want to embrace trade and folio skills together then let’s allow that and if they want to exhibit artistic/discussional items then let’s allow that.
Thank you for your time, and I would be interested to hear what others have to say on this topic...
Regards,

Paul Haydock
East Doncaster S.C