[Design and Technology] Veneers for Skateboard Makind

James Roberts jroberts at stpeters.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 25 11:18:04 EST 2011

I've made them in the past using 3mm ply from Bunnings (have used both interior and exterior grade - depends on what is available). 3 sheets with grain going lengthways and 2 going across (total 15mm deck can make thicker), alternating as you go.  We found we could make the decks for about a 1/3 of the price as a shop bought one and in most cases were more robust....the downside is that your mould (double kick with concave) needs to be quite substantial (heavy/rigid) with plenty of support over the entire surface (top and bottom), you also want sufficient clamping - we used 6 sash cramps and ensure the glue (regardless of what glue or what the directions say) covering the entire surface on all joining surfaces. If you require a sketch of a mould design, let me know?

Regards
James

James Roberts
Head of Campus - Cranbourne East
St Peter's College
PO Box 615
Cranbourne, VIC 3977
PH: (03) 5996 6733  FAX: (03) 5996 8277

The contents of this email are confidential. Any unauthorised use of the content is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please advise by reply email or telephone immediately and then delete the email. Thank you