[Design and Technology] FW: Fringe Furniture Artist Talks

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Sep 3 15:48:41 EST 2010

Dear colleague

This information is sent on behalf Briony Galligan who worked on the Top
Designs Exhibition and is now working on the Melbourne Fringe Furniture
exhibition.

fringe furniture designer talks

Fringe Furniture has grown over its 26-year history to claim a critical
position in

Melbourne's design calendar. Fringe Furniture 2010 is an experimental
playground

of furniture, lighting design, homewares, wearable objects, permanent
and

ephemeral works.

As the urban sprawl continues its outward creep, Fringe Furniture 2010
looks at the

encounters between the city and its others. Designers were challenged to
rediscover

the spirit of a landscape fast disappearing, with this year's theme The
City has a Face,

the Country has a Soul. The Substation in Newport, is the perfect host
for this

stunning exhibition.

What are the designer talks?

* Hear Fringe Furniture designers speak about their works, career
objectives and

design practice; they analyse the purpose, processes and products
associated with

their designs.

* Designers explain their works; from concept development, to material
selection

and production process. The talks are targeted towards Design and
Technology and

Studio Arts students. The talks have strong focus on designers and
artists responses

to social, economic and environmental choices and decision making.

* The talks are FREE and held in the exhibition space to complement this
iconic

exhibition. The Substation is next to the train station, Williamston and
Werribee

lines so the exhibition is easily accessible.

Fringe Furniture

- at The Substation -

How do I book?

* You must book your group for these talks. Groups of 8-40 are accepted.
Email

briony at melbournefringe.com.au with your name, contact details and
preferred

date for your booking.

* Allow your group at least an additional 30 minutes to explore the
exhibition.

* Transport to The Substation is easiest via train. The Substation is
next to Newport

station, Werribee and Williamstown lines.

Details

date: Thursdays and Fridays, from 23 September until Friday 8 October.

time: 12-12:30pm

cost: Free!

further info: Call 9660 9600 and speak to our Fringe Furniture Producer,

Briony Galligan.

Background

Fringe Furniture is part of the free Made By Melbourne Fringe program -
projects that

explore new mediums, engage communities and bring emerging and
experienced

artists together to create inspiring and sophisticated work.

Melbourne Fringe is the leading organisation for the independent arts in
Victoria.

As a vital resource to independent artists, Melbourne Fringe is
constantly evolving to

meet the current needs of this community and to provide the best
possible support,

professional development, advocacy and presentation opportunities.

The organisation manages the annual, open access Melbourne Fringe
Festival, allowing

thousands of artists to present new work to a large and committed
audience though our

Independent Program.

Source: Melbourne Fringe Festival Poster.

Briony Galligan

Fringe Furniture Producer

melbournefringe.com.au <http://www.melbournefringe.com.au/>  for all the
details.

On twitter?  Use #mfringe

E   briony at melbournefringe.com.au <mailto:briony at melbournefringe.com.au>

T   + 61 3 9660 9600

F   +61 3 9660 9687

Level 2/225 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
<http://tinyurl.com/melbourne-fringe-office>

PO Box 21278, Lt. Lonsdale Street VIC 8011

Lorraine Tran I Curriculum Manager

VELS Design, Creativity and Technology

VCE Agricultural and Horticultural Studies I VCE Food and Technology

VCE Design and Technology I VCE Systems Engineering

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)

41 St Andrews Place I East Melbourne I 3002

W (03) 9651 4407 I M 041 933 1630

E tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
<mailto:tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au>

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority provides high quality
curriculum, assessment and reporting that promotes individual life long
learning.