[Design and Technology] FW: VISTA & Materials Australia bring you 'Ideas into Actions'

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Oct 8 13:32:10 EST 2010

Dear colleagues

On 29 September I attended an evening seminar conducted by VISTA and
Materials Australia titled Creating an innovative materials
manufacturing sector (and the role of education in making it happen).
The seminar brought together key players from research (CSIRO
http://www.csiro.com/science/AdvancedMaterials.html), education and the
manufacturing industry to identify the key success factors to good
innovative practice. Aspects discussed at the meeting were: the right
mindset for innovation; the right knowledge for innovation; the right
connections for innovation; the cost of innovation and policy
driving/supporting innovation.

Organisations represented at the meeting included:

CSIRO (Manufacturing Flagship)
Swinburne University (Vocation Education Training Sector)

Australian Industry Group (Industry Association)

Furnace Engineering (Small Manufacturing Enterprise)

Box Hill Institute (VET Sector)
Melbourne Apprenticeships ( Skills Development )

Materials Australia ( Industry and Professional Association)

Department of Innovation ( Federal Government)
Evirosyc (Small Manufacturing Enterprise)
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
ATTAR (Registered Training Organisation)
Tasweld Engineering (Small Manufacturing Enterprise)

IP Plastics (Small Manufacturing Enterprise)

Inductabend (Small Manufacturing Enterprise)

VISTA (Professional Association for VET Professionals)

Innovation Exchange (Innovation Connector)

Barbara Lepani from the Australian Government's Department of
Innovation, Industry, Science and Research presented on the National
enabling Technologies Strategy which is available at
http://www.innovation.gov.au/Industry/Nanotechnology/Documents/NETS_book
let_web.pdf

A fact sheet on the Enabling Technologies Strategy is available at
http://www.innovation.gov.au/Section/AboutDIISR/FactSheets/Pages/Nationa
lEnablingTechnologiesStrategyFactSheet.aspx

VISTA and Materials Australia
http://www.materialsaustralia.com.au/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=MA/ccms.
r are conducting further events (the first is outlined below) which I
believe may be of interest to VCE Design and Technology & Systems
Engineering teachers, particularly those who are also delivering VET
programs.

Please scroll down to see the information below.

Regards, Lorraine

Lorraine Tran I Curriculum Manager

VELS Design, Creativity and Technology

VCE Agricultural and Horticultural Studies I VCE Food and Technology

VCE Design and Technology I VCE Systems Engineering

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)

41 St Andrews Place I East Melbourne I 3002

W (03) 9651 4407 I M 041 933 1630

E tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
<mailto:tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au>

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority provides high quality
curriculum, assessment and reporting that promotes individual life long
learning