[Design and Technology] Material Characteristics & Properties

Melissa Treverton treverton.melissa.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 5 10:20:49 EST 2009

Hi all,

Hoping for some clarification of terms.

In the DESIGN FACTORS & APPLICATIONS the term Materials - Characteristics &
Properties is used.  However when looking at fabrics in the text books the
term Characteristics never appears.

My interpretation was

Materials characteristics - what the fabric can do (i.e stretch,
transparent)

Material properties - The origin of the fabric and its construction (i.e
polyester plain weave)

However in the text books the use the term Properties to discuss what the
fabric can do and a whole range of terms to discuss the origin &
construction method (i.e identification, forms)

I am of the understanding we should be using consistent terminology based on
the Design Factors & Fundamentals.

Any advice/feedback welcome !

Thanks

Melissa Treverton