[Design and Technology] CNC in schools

Hallsworth, John J hallsworth.john.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Dec 29 20:13:38 EST 2009

Are there many teachers (schools) around that invested in CNC machines with the technology funding supplied last year?  If so, how are you going with software, curriculum, P.D. etc?

I recently posted this message on the "CNCzone" forum      http://www.cnczone.com/

"When the Vic. Government kindly handed out money to schools for their technology areas to replenish their equipment stocks, I believe many schools took the opportunity to get into CNC. Some bought Roland machines and some (like my school) bought larger "no frills" machines from China or local suppliers. It would be interesting to know what is out there in schools and how the equipment is being used in the schools' curricula. Is the wider CNC community aware that some schools are into CNC and do they have any suggestions as to what we should be teaching students in this area? Is there any training available? Is anyone prepared to offer training to school teachers? Could any businesses offer information (tours) to local schools? etc. etc. I have been relying on my own research and this forum for my P.D. and I'm getting there, but a coordinated effort would be good. Any thoughts / ideas anyone? Cheers."

We purchased a 900 x 600 CNC router directly from China and it has been a slow learning curve, but I am now starting to get to grips with it.  I would be interested to know if any other schools have similar equipment and if some co-ordinated P.D could be arranged.  Any thoughts ???

Have a great holiday everyone !!!
Cheers, John.

John Hallsworth
Montmorency Secondary College