[Design and Technology] design fundamentals and applications

VERSTRAETEN Gabriella gab.verstraeten at thomascarr.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 08:55:25 EST 2008

Hi Liz

I saw your question addressed to Lorraine, I hope you don't mind if I
offer you a way of looking at it to see if this helps you too. Because I
know when I saw it on the exam last year, I thought 'Holy sh*t ! - where
did that one come from?' I could remember that it was something that was
addressed in a presentation on the new study design given at a DATTA or
HEV session by Lorraine, but only touched on. Certainly I hadn't
addressed it with the students and didn't expect to see it on the exam.
But remember all the students & teachers were in the same boat.

Anyway, I felt it seems a bit blurred too the differences - until I
looked at as not a whole heap of  words but as the 'elements &
principals' concepts that we do in Art. All the students are aware of
these ideas and terminologies from there art classes and most get that.
Its there a bit in the VELS stuff for Technology too. So I say to the
students - these are your elements and principles in technology/design.
So your design factors & fundamentals are the elements. The applications
are your principles - how you apply them, how you are using your
fundamentals/elements. The page is a really a good summary of what parts
of the study design are all about.  Read it through with them or give it
to them as home work to read, close the book. Make it like a little
competition with the students in teams - How many design factors can
your team come up with? How many fundamentals can your team come up with
for .......? Etc. They do know it, they and we just don't realise that.
I am going to do this little competition stuff with my year 11s as a
part of our orientation for yr 12 soon. As a way of introducing the
topic to them. Will do ti with the yr 11s into yr 12 as well.

Hope this helps. I don't think students will be expected to be able to
list out right fundamentals and applications - design factors, probably
-yes. The others - no. But then again ........ maybe I should/we should
check with Lorraine.

Regards

Gabriella ( Verstraeten)