[Design and Technology] Re: team work U2 year 11.

Steve Catanzariti stevec at sjc.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 18 15:04:11 EST 2008

I think Unit 2 is great. As a teacher, it is your job to motivate the
students and give them a reason to want to succeed in your subject. Some
need more motivation than others, but the team aspect of the unit can be
solved in many ways. I have found that by putting students of the same
level in a group works very well. They push each other along most of the
time but you also need to get them to allocate who is doing what in the
group at the start of the project so that each person has ownership of
certain components. No more than 2 in a group. I gave them all the same
work brief with constraints and considerations...design a
lamp/light....I made it into a design competition where students are
awarded a prize for the best folio and product -  voted by the class. I
have also got the students to present to the rest of the class, what
they have done so far at random intervals. This puts pressure on them to
actually do something so they don't look stupid in front of their peers-
embarrassment works.... I think by doing the folio in pairs, they are
able to complete it far quicker which means they have more time to
actually make and complete their product...
Steve Catanzariti
St. Joeys, Geelong