[Design and Technology] "Cradle to Cradle" Design

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Fri Apr 18 23:47:41 EST 2008

William McDonough: The wisdom of designing "Cradle to Cradle"

Hi! I've chatted with some of you about "Cradle to Cradle" Design. If
you are able, please download the following video of a talk given by
the architect William McDonough. (Highlight then copy it to your
address bar, press enter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRjz8iTVoo

Hope you enjoy?

I have noticed that the VELS website has a whole section devoted to
design but they've missed "Cradle to Cradle" design completely :(
They still talk in depressive terms of "Cradle to Grave" and
"Planned
Obsolescence" as if it’s just the way it is. Through Design
Education
especially I believe we could also focus more positively on aspects
of Cradle to Cradle design so students can see another possibility
They may want to be "responsible designers" after all!

I reckon designers today still are not paying enough attention to
WHAT
things are made of. (I like to discuss with students examples, news
clippings like the lead tainted products as tangible ways to show
this).  And designers are not designing things with the END of a
products life and next life (landfill) in mind. (I like to discuss
with students examples like old cell phone and other short life
products to make
the point).

Anyway I would appreciate any feedback thanks.

Phil Cranswick - the Solidworks guy !
Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or distribute this
message. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at Aitken College
on (+61 3) 9333 1866. Thank-you