[Design and Technology] Technology education teacher training

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Tue May 8 15:36:21 EST 2007

Thanks Lorraine

So Latrobe and Ballarat.  I guess many of us in our 40's and 50's
went through Melbourne Uni's Melbourne State College - what a great
program that was.  Four year Ed Degree majoring metal or wood etc  -
very practical.  I guess that's the DEPTH of training that appears to
be missing now? I wish Melbourne Uni would start it up again.... a bit
like the Tech schools ... expensive to start em up again!

It's great you were able to give your perspective to those students.
Sounds very satisfying.

Philip

 On 08.05.2007 at 10:43:35, "Tran, Lorraine I"
<tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

> Phil and list members
>
> There IS teacher training occurring for systems and design and
> technology teaching.
>
> There is a four year undergraduate course 'Bachelor of
> Education/Bachelor of Technology' at Ballarat University. There are
also
> trades people (or those with industry experience) doing this course
who
> are considered to have 'advanced standing' and complete the course
over
> a shorter period. Perhaps technology education teachers can help
promote
> this course to their senior students. For more information about
this
> course, please go to
> http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/education/BEd_BTech.shtml
>

> La Trobe Uni (mainly Bundoora and Bendigo) also has a two year
course
> 'Graduate Diploma of Technology Education' for tradespeople wishing
> retrain as technology teachers, including teaching vocational
education
> programs.
>
> Other entry to technology education teaching is via the completion
of a
> relevant undergraduate course followed by a Diploma of Education
(this
> would require the inclusion of a technology education method in the
Dip
> Ed).
>
> I addressed over 60 of the 'new wave' of future technology teachers
at
> the Melbourne Museum on Sunday, who came to view the Top Designs
> exhibition.
>
> Regards, Lorraine.
>
> Lorraine Tran
> Curriculum Manager, P - 12 Design and Technology
> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)
> 41 St Andrews Place
> East Melbourne 3002
> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au
>
> Email: tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
> Telephone: (03) 9651 4407
> Mobile:       041 933 1630
>

> The VCAA provides curriculum and assessment for prep to Year 12.
The
> VCAA is a statutory body directly responsible to the Minister for
> Education and Training and serves government and non-government
schools.

John
> Lenders
> >

> > It is a start but after 30 years of neglect they have a lot off
> catching up
> > to do.
> >

> > Does any one know the details on when and how the money will be
> available?
> >

> > Richard Bazeley
> >

> >   _____

Niass

www.education.vic.gov.au/about/news/newsalerts/adelaidedeclaration.htm

www.education.vic.gov.au/about/publications/budget/budget2007.htm

> > Note $50m to redevelop 30 technical wings at Secondary schools
and
> to renew
> > equipment at all secondary schools. (I presume government
> schools.)
> >

> > Regards, Lorraine.
> >

> > Lorraine Tran
> >
> > Curriculum Manager, P - 12 Design and Technology
> >
> > Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)
> >
> > 41 St Andrews Place
> >
> > East Melbourne 3002
> >
> > http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au
> >

> > Email: tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
> >
> > Telephone: (03) 9651 4407
> >
> > Mobile:       041 933 1630
> >

> > The VCAA provides curriculum and assessment for prep to Year 12.
> The VCAA is
> > a statutory body directly responsible to the Minister for
Education
> and
> > Training and serves government and non-government schools.
> >

> > Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential.
If
> received
> > in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before
opening
> or using
> > attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of
any
> loss,
> > damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the
> sender or
> > not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any
attached
> files our
> > liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
Any
> > representations or opinions expressed are those of the
individual
> sender,
> > and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.

> Victorian
> > Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> > TEAV - Technology Education Association of Victoria

> Victorian
> > Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> > TEAV - Technology Education Association of Victoria

> Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this
message.

> If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible
> for
> delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or
distribute
> this
> message. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
> sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at
Aitken