[Design and Technology] Keeping you up to date

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Tue May 8 09:16:14 EST 2007

Yes and the Universities must re introduce teacher training for
systems and design technology !

Phil.

 On 07.05.2007 at 18:48:27, Bazeley <bazeley at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> "Another $50 million has been committed over the next five years to
build 30
> new technical wings
>
> in secondary schools and modernise equipment in all others." - John
Lenders

> It is a start but after 30 years of neglect they have a lot off
catching up
> to do.
>

> Does any one know the details on when and how the money will be
available?

> Richard Bazeley
>

>   _____

Future of
> Schooling in Australia is almost devoid of references to the role
of
> technology in Education. It says that we are doing pretty well in
Maths &
> Science (about equal 5th on PISA standardised tests) but this is
for 15 year
> olds ability. It does not focus on the 19th place we get for
student
> satisfaction and engagement in Maths & Science. Our 15 year olds
are capable
> enough, but they are so turned off Maths, Science & Engineering
that they do
> not persue it as a career in university.
>

> This report should look at the declining numbers of qualified
Maths, Science
> & Engineering graduates we are producing to focus on the real
problem.

> The report clearly shows that Finland has streaked ahead of the
rest of the
> world, but the report attributes this to
>
> "In their reforms in the 1990s which resulted in them moving to
the
> forefront of
>
> student achievement, they abandoned uniformity in curriculum
content and
> moved to basing their teaching
>
> and learning on rigorous curriculum standards while allowing
schools
> flexibility in the content of the curriculum
>
> in achieving these standards.14 Strong school leadership and an
outstanding
> quality of teaching is what then
>
> delivered the world's best student results."
>
> They may well have adopted rigorous curriculum standards and and a
flexible
> content, but the report fails to mention that they also invested
massively
> in technology for schools.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Peter

Lorraine I
> Sent: Friday, 4 May 2007 4:56 PM
> To: Design and Technology Teachers' Mailing List; Systems and
Technology

www.education.vic.gov.au/about/news/newsalerts/adelaidedeclaration.htm

> Note Cross disciplinary learning area list includes technology (ICT
and
> design) as part of a broad and comprehensive curriculum (page 28).
>

> The STATE GOVERNMENT launched its 2007-08 BUDGET this week. The
brochure
> over viewing components relevant to education highlights an
'engaging vision
> for Victorian education' and 'a new generation of schools'. See
> www.education.vic.gov.au/about/publications/budget/budget2007.htm
>
> Note $50m to redevelop 30 technical wings at Secondary schools and
to renew
> equipment at all secondary schools. (I presume government
schools.)

> Regards, Lorraine.
>

> Lorraine Tran
>
> Curriculum Manager, P - 12 Design and Technology
>
> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)
>
> 41 St Andrews Place
>
> East Melbourne 3002
>
> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au
>

> Email: tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
> Telephone: (03) 9651 4407
>
> Mobile:       041 933 1630
>

> The VCAA provides curriculum and assessment for prep to Year 12.
The VCAA is
> a statutory body directly responsible to the Minister for Education
and
> Training and serves government and non-government schools.

received
> in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening
or using
> attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any
loss,
> damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the
sender or
> not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached
files our
> liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any
> representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual
sender,
> and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.

Victorian
> Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> TEAV - Technology Education Association of Victoria

Victorian
> Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> TEAV - Technology Education Association of Victoria

Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or distribute this
message. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at Aitken College
on (+61 3) 9333 1866. Thank-you