[Design and Technology] RE: Design software -Help!

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 11:56:03 EST 2007

Hi Gary,

I'm a believer in Solidworks for many reasons. I’ve taught AutoCAD
for many years now initially in Canada. As you probably know AutoDesk
developed AutoCAD for many years and from that developed a 3D
modelling program called Inventor. Solidworks philosophy is to meet
the needs of engineer in an ongoing way and is a very innovative
software developer for this reason.

Our school spent many thousands of dollars on establishing the
computer lab so I justified getting Solidworks for the following
reasons:

1) School invested in computers lab so does itself/students justice
by choosing quality software at a little extra cost
 why go cheep?
2) RMIT, Melbourne Uni, Swinburne Deakin and Uni Vic ALL have chosen
Solidworks for their engineering and Product design Courses. Makes
sense to introduce students to it at school
3) Solidworks is widely used in industry – significant statistics
(contact Paul Huglin and Intercad for this 9899 5155
4) Excellent tech support and upgrades
5) Excellent online tutorials and educational teaching resources
6) I’ve taught year 6 to 12 successfully.  Year 6’s for example
modeled their CO2 cars using SolidWorks.
7) Truly Industry standard software.

Solidworks is provided primarily for industry however very popular in
schools around the world especially North America and Europe.

Other software available at lesser $ value, is in some cases obsolete
in industry, but do teach the basics, and that’s fine.

If you would like to know more specifics please let me know or
contact InterCAD. I reckon in the end it’s great if your kids get to
use 3D CAD.

My opinion is that the price usually indicates the quality of the
product and in this case companies may not be doing so well in the
industrial sector so could see education as a new market.

If you would like check out the following sites:
http://blogs.solidworks.com/teacher/   ...click left column links
http://www.solidworks.com/   ...click educators or students

Supplier/support:
INTERCAD
Cassandra McPhail
Level 1, 1013 Whitehorse Rd
BOXHILL, VIC, 3128
Tel: (03) 9899 5155
Fax: (03) 9899 8155
cassandra.mcphail at intercad.com.au

Cheers,

Philip Cranswick.
Aitken College

Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or distribute this
message. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at Aitken College
on (+61 3) 9333 1866. Thank-you