[Design and Technology] election promise

fbu at brightp12.vic.edu.au fbu at brightp12.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 16 16:32:57 EST 2007

Yeah, I can relate to that. No time allowance or recognition (unless it is convenient for admin) for ordering materials, sharpening, maintenance, fixing, getting quotes etc for repairs, adjusting equipment , record and accounts keeping, etc. There is only me here in Bright, and I run both wood and metal tech from year 8 to 12. With a full teaching load it is now impossible to keep up with the maintenance. Some band aid sollutions included  an attempt to get Rotary Club to send volunteers. This took a fair bit of time to set up and only lasted  one session. I now have a retired gent to do some for cash - he is good so far but tends to go for holidays during the winter. I have had 7 years of negotiations with the principals and the powers that be. The bottom line is always that, according to principals of other like schools, their tech staff seem to cope well without additional assistance and do all this work within their class-room preparation time. Apart from that there is no
  funding.

So my question is, are the tech areas well maintained, and who does the work? (and are these people fairly reimbursed for that work?). Because sure as hell I cannot do that part of the job effectively on a full teaching load.

Fran Burgers