[Design and Technology] SOLIDWORKS - ANOTHER DESIGN TOOL

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Wed Aug 17 10:53:31 EST 2005

Subject: SOLIDWORKS -  ANOTHER DESIGN TOOL

SOLIDWORKS - Engineering Design Parametric Modelling Software -
ANOTHER CHOICE for your consideration.

Hi All.

I've been using Solidworks this year for my Design and Technology
students. I introduced it as an elective for year 9 and 10 students
with the intention of giving them the design skills for their VCE,
(VET and/or VCAL) Design and Technology and VCD subjects. It’s
proving to be successful for us.

The students start by working through Online Tutorials then I give
them a brief to design an object, this reinforces the skills they
have just learned. Students can refer back to the tutorials whenever
needed.  In Solidworks students create Parts, Assemblies and
Drawings
and a bill of materials. Basically this is it however there are many
other functions as well. For example, Cosmosworks which is a design
analysis tool for SolidWorks. It is easy-to-use, and accurate. Next
year I would like to do some prototyping if any ones got some
contacts?

I'm very happy to talk to anyone about my experiences using
Solidworks. If you wish to talk it through, I can discuss you my
reasons for going with Solidworks with you and what is involved.
Email: pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au or Phone: 9333 1866. It’s not
Free but I believe that it is good value and worth the commitment.

Some background information:
We have a small design lab of 20 computers adjoining the
manufacturing workshop. The students see the link between the
designing and manufacturing and can pop into the room whenever to
work.

SolidWorks is a major design, analysis and manufacturing platform
used by many of the leading universities in Victoria including;
University of Melbourne, RMIT, Swinburne and Deakin – I understand
over 500 licenses in total. There are considerable opportunities for
Product Designers and Engineers in industry today.

Students using Solidworks not only have the perfect software to
develop great designs and drawings for their "Design and Technology"
and "Visual Communication and Design" Folios, but they will also
acquire the design skills for further education using Solidworks.
Solidworks is priced to suit most small businesses. It is growing in
popularity throughout Victoria and around the world.

Cost Estimate:
30 seat Licence: $4,330 and support: $1,160.  After two years there
is an annual “Maintenance Subscription” for $1,200.  This includes
all software upgrades (new releases) and continuing technical
support.  For further information about this contact InterCAD and
ask
for Cassandra.  Their phone number is: 9899 5155

All the best.

Philip Cranswick

Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or forward this
message to anyone. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at Aitken College
on (+61 3) 9333 1866. Thank-you