[Informatics] Integrity exam question

Laurie McDonald (Mr) mcdonaldl at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 29 07:03:16 UTC 2020

Hi All

Hope the break is going well.

From Section C, 3B from last year I think I  need to get some clarity around integrity.

In order to collect more data, Pranesh suggests mailing surveys to random residents. Carolyn has an old list of residents that has each person’s surname, first name and address. The list is
eight years old. Pranesh is concerned about the integrity of the data if this list is used, in particular the addresses of the residents. Name the characteristic of data integrity that would cause the greatest problems for the dentists if they use this list. Explain why this characteristic is a concern.

Accuracy was the only accepted response. 0.5 out of 3 the average mark.

VCAA said - One area for improvement is students’ understanding of the aspects of data integrity. While students could identify these aspects, too many used the wrong definition in their answers. For example, many thought that timeliness refers to when the data was first created/gathered, rather than when data is gathered in relation to the current project,. Students need to be familiar with the terminology used within the study.

Even considering the logic described in the VCAA comment - the data was gathered 8 years earlier in relation to the current survey project being undertaken. Does that, for that project, bring into question the timeliness of the data.

Am I missing something. Is the data being considered to be gathered at the current time of the project?

Thanks

Kind Regards,
Mr Laurie McDonald
Digital Technologies