[Informatics] GitHub for schools

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:09:40 UTC 2020

G’day fellow VCE IT teachers, apologies for any duplicate posts.

How many of you use GitHub with student projects for VCE or even junior classes for teaching students about software development and coding?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jLJU7DT5E

How valuable it has been to help with version control and offline storage etc, what flavour do you use?

I am keen to hear stories from colleagues who have found it useful with a quick reply email.

There are plenty of good examples of how this can work in the classroom.
https://www.storybench.org/use-github-lessons-classroom-newsroom/ <https://www.storybench.org/use-github-lessons-classroom-newsroom/>
https://ubc-mds.github.io/2017-08-24-teaching-with-github/ <https://ubc-mds.github.io/2017-08-24-teaching-with-github/>
https://github.blog/2020-03-18-set-up-your-digital-classroom-with-github-classroom/ <https://github.blog/2020-03-18-set-up-your-digital-classroom-with-github-classroom/>
https://opensource.com/education/16/1/git-education-classroom <https://opensource.com/education/16/1/git-education-classroom>

If anybody is interested, contact me about sharing an article in our next DLTV newsletter or even run a webinar looking over the workflow for best deployment and use in the classroom.

Only one more work to go before the end of the school term! I finally got the tree up and decorations hanging outside :-)

Regards Roland Gesthuizen
--
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen