[Informatics] Exam Referencing Question

Phillip Donald milsendonaldp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:03:37 UTC 2018

I'm very disappointed with Section B Q7b in the exam.

Write out the reference that Dion would put in his reference list? Really?
This is 2018, references have been built into Word for years. This is
esoteric nonsense, if I asked you to write down in the Harvard method the
reference for your nearest textbook you wouldn't be able to do it without
looking it up. However, I would bet that you could answer actually useful
questions, such as why it's important to reference.

To be clear, Q7a is fine, I just don't think it's reasonable for students
to remember silly things like the order to write out different elements in
a specific order.

Pre-empting the "it's in the study design so it can be examined"
"argument". This subject should be better than weak legalistic things like
that, there's plenty of meaty content that could have been examined
instead, also, refer to my challenge above.

Now that I've had my vent, what do you think?