[Informatics] Criterion 3

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue May 22 00:38:14 EDT 2018

Good afternoon.

Trying to keep this brief! ☺

From the  School Based Assessments document, this is the entire requirement of your students for the U3O2 component of the SAT, and highlighted are the sections pertaining to Criterion 3.
[cid:image002.png at 01D3F1DA.82B411C0]

Criterion 3 is all about:

-          Collecting information                                   (should be primary/secondary, qualitative/quantitative)

-          How you collected the information           (multiple methods and techniques)

-          Appropriate referencing                               (using a consistent referencing standard e.g. Harvard / APA / Chicago / IEEE)

-          Validation of data collected                         (manual and electronic techniques)

Students should therefore provide:

-          Their initial data sets

-          The evidence of their collection method, referencing of intellectual property and validation used

-          Their data sets post validation (which I assume has changed or removed values where manual validation has been applied as well as possible spell checking of entered information which would then change values using an automated option)
This should be provided by the student so that they can meet the Criterion.

The Criterion itself is broken down into three sections:

-          The types of data collected and the methods used

-          The validation of the data collected and the techniques used

-          Their adherence to a referencing standard

Hence this Criterion is not overly difficult to collect in advance of a final due date, mark and provide important feedback for your students.

Then they can work on manipulating their data (C4) so that a conclusion to their original hypothesis (C1) can be reached.

Hope this helps.
Lucas from Lalor

Lalor Secondary College