[Informatics] Audit

Tran, Dinh TranD at loyola.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 00:34:04 EDT 2018

Good Afternoon all,

I am sharing my bit of wisdom with you.

You must not use any commercial SAC's for the student SAC (although it's helpful to look at samples).
The SAC you write has to be distinctively different in terms of the content and case study to any commercial SAC or any previous SAC that you have created.
For commercial SAC's, you also need to check if the marking guide is accurate. For example, the Nelson textbook sample SAC's have an inaccurate marking guide. It is marked out of 40 whereas VCAA specifies that it should be marked out of 100.

VCAA requires that you never re-use a SAC and that every year you should change the case study and content of the SAC.

For example, Unit 4, Outcome 2 SAC is on Information Management. The SAC must be based on two organisations. They can be from any two organisations of different size and from different industries or they can be from the same industry but two different organisations.

The SAC should not have questions. Only statements as prompts.
E.g.
-Identify similarities and differences between the information management strategies of each organisation
-Compare the current information management strategies used by each organisation to monitor and control their data and information
-Propose and apply criteria to evaluate the effectiveness of information management strategies
-Discuss possible consequences of ineffective information management strategies
-Recommend information management strategies to improve current practices

Within the 5 broad areas, students are expected to cover more depth.
E.g. For the "Discuss possible consequences of ineffective information management strategies", the guideline for the student response is hinted in the marking criteria.

a) Reference key legislation that affects how organisations control the storage and disposal of their data and information: the Privacy Act 1988, the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, and the Health Records Act 2001.
b) Describe a potential ethical dilemma arising from information management practices.
c) List strategies for resolving legal and ethical tensions between stakeholders arising from information management practices.

As per page 37 of the VCAA Informatics Study Design, Unit 4, Outcome 2 should be marked out of 100 marks. You have a choice of a written report OR an annotated visual report.

I usually conduct the SAC under exam conditions and give students two hours to complete the written report.

I hope this information helps to clarify what VCAA expects.

Kind Regards,
Mr Dinh Tran

e-Learning Co-ordinator