[Informatics] POTG FileMaker Pro Solution

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Feb 27 06:01:52 EST 2018

Hi all,

tblStudents or StudentsTable
qrySales2018 or Sales2018View

Tomato tomato potato potato let's call the whole thing off.  Same diff.

Students need to understand naming their objects with clear and meaningful names - and if in doubt put the type of object embedded within the name.

In MSAccess this undoubtedly is still called query as distinct from View, but I've worked with Oracle, TOAD, SQL Server and created saved queries which are indeed called views once saved in the Schema, but I can make this mental leap because I've been well drilled in creating meaningful names - initially using MS Access, which is where many students still get their first relational database taste.

If you don't use meaningful names which most likely also include the object type within, then I can't be certain that examiners will treat you well.

For me, at least with this Study Design, I'm using tbl, qry, rpt and frm. And I'd be careful with field name prefixes also - my top students will probably be mentored to use txt/int/fl/cur/bool etc, even though I think it's overkill.

LG