[Informatics] Any Schools without Computer Labs???????

Colley, Elizabeth E colley.elizabeth.e at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon May 15 13:57:12 AEST 2017

Hi
My school here is BYOD with no labs.
At year 12 it's tricky, probably because it wasn't BYOD when the kids started.
Their computers seem to be a bit poor in quality, and can take a while to load.

The year 7s though are better trained, because it's their own device they take more care of it. They all download office 365 from the department at the start of the year which  means they have all the MS office suite in full.

For SACs my y12s had to turn their wifi off, and I used USBs for them to complete the work on. They had to submit it at the end of each session, kept in secure area.

I taught in labs in the UK for a long time at year 12 equivalent, to be honest, I miss them - kids PCs can take a while to log on, but there is no way the kids can now say they forgot to take their files with them. They also have more flexibility in downloading freeware on their own devices. But they do need to be reminded to take backups.
If I had a lab of 24 computers in with only 12 students in, then it did feel a bit of a waste of resources.   Location and availability of printers is something that is a bit annoying too so could be a concern. And then there's the power supply issue. Our kids are not allowed to charge during school, so if you teach last period, it can be frustrating.

Liz Colley

Year 7 Assistant Educational Year Level Leader
English and Computing Teacher