[Informatics] RIP MP3

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Jul 20 21:30:55 AEST 2017

Hi Litsa and List,

I'm in the process of digitising about 400 audio cassettes containing
recordings of British radio comedy from the 1970s and 1980s.
(I belong to a secret society of old time radio enthusiasts. Shh. I've
already said too much.)

Just finding a decent cassette deck was tough enough. They are rare, and
getting rarer.
(Tip: The cassette-to-MP3 units you see on eBay and Aldi are *not* very
good.)

In a couple of decades, the ability to read audio cassettes may be arcane
magic, and all of their information may be lost.
Not long after, MP3 may be a quaint and unsupported format.
Does anyone else remember AVI/DIVX ?
I distinctly remember seeing the first discussion of Matroska (mkv) and
chuckling at the idea of *anything* competing with AVI.
Giants are quickly slain in the battlefield of media formats.

And yes, I *am* saving the digital audio files to FLAC.
Entropy cannot decrease. Information must be preserved.

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com