[Informatics] Mathematics and ICT

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jul 19 11:35:02 AEST 2017

Hi Robert
You could use this resource using Python whose turtle app is nearly exactly the same as Logo just with a few tweaks – but then gives the option of an extension to a future general purpose programming language.

https://hourofpython.trinket.io/a-visual-introduction-to-python#/welcome/an-hour-of-code

I know it’s not the point but it’s where we will probably go with our Year 7s in the future.

On the example of the Year 7 “not being good at coding”, an issue is possibly that students aren’t as great at problem solving because we as teachers do too much of the work for them.  Because we have lost resilience in our students to persevere and “find the right answer” in the time honoured manner, often because of the curriculum crowding mentioned here, we can become tempted to just spoon feed workings and answers to our students. More’s the pity.

Lucas Garth
Lalor Secondary College