[Informatics] MMOS - cultural inclusiveness

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 16:29:06 AEST 2017

further:

   - head nodding to indicate agreement and shaking for disagreement is not
   universal. A number of cultures (inc some from the Indian subcontinent) use
   the opposite convention. Can be very confusing.
   - the oft-cited positive nature of "making eye contact" varies between
   cultures. In some it is disrespectful or rude. The rules vary considerably,
   including eye contact between genders and in some cases subcultures.
   - patting children on the head as a playful gesture won't get you far in
   some countries, particularly in Buddhist communities.
   - the "thumbs up" gesture meaning "OK" in Western cultures has a very
   different meaning in some cultures eg some Thai regions.
   -  holding your palm out when receiving change in Greece has a very
   different meaning.
   - readers of Shakespeare would also know of the medieval practice of
   biting one's thumb at another person. Which seems to be the equivalent of
   the modern bogan's "what are you lookin' at? You lookin' at ME?.." taunt

*Abraham*: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
*Sampson*: I do bite my thumb, sir.
*Abraham*: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
*Sampson* *(to Gregory)*: Is the law of our side if I say ay?
*Gregory*: No.
*Sampson*: No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you sir; but I bite my thumb,
sir.
*Gregory*: Do you quarrel, sir?
*Abraham*: Quarrel, sir? No, sir.

kp

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> Hi, cultured readers.
>
> For consideration in your MMOS...
>
> *Everyday cultural stuff you assume is universal (that isn't)*
> (Note: Fruity language alert)
>
> http://www.cracked.com/article_22796_everyday-cultural-stuff-you-assume-
> universal-that-isnt.html
>
> Mark
>
> --
>
> Mark Kelly
>
> mark at vceit.com
> http://vceit.com
>
> Powered by *not having to return to work on Tuesday.*

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS(Snr) CP ACCE Professional Associate.
Immediate Past President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au