[Informatics] Fun with hypotheses - Part 1: The observation

Stephen Trouse Stephen.Trouse at flinders.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 4 21:36:26 AEST 2017

Since we're on grammar, Mark:
"...it is neither cats not Batman..."
"An Hypothesis" is Queen's English.
________________________________
From: informatics-bounces at edulists.com.au [informatics-bounces at edulists.com.au] on behalf of Mark [mark at vceit.com]
Sent: Friday, 31 March 2017 2:28 PM
To: Year 12 VCE Informatics Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: [Informatics] Fun with hypotheses - Part 1: The observation

Hi, hypothesisors

Or is it 'hypothesisers'?
Or 'hypothesiz[o|e]rs?
Or 'those who hypothesi[s|z]e'?
Dang.

Anyway... sorry.

The Observation:

[http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/0/7/0/605070_v2.jpg]

Formulate a hypothesis* to explain the spikes in divorce rates in March and August.

Tip: it is not that either cats or Batman cause divorce.

More to follow in the exciting part 2.

Mark

* "A hypothesis"?
"An hypothesis"?
In formal, carefully enunciated speech, it would sound like "a - hypothesis" with the "h" voiced but in casual speech, I'd swallow the aspirant "h" and say "an 'ypothesis"
Dang. That's going to keep me awake all night.

I hope I don't have a portion of the teaching community wandering the corridors of academia mysteriously muttering "a - hypothesis, an 'ypothesis" for the rest of the term.

mark at vceit.com<mailto:mark at vceit.com>
http://vceit.com