[Informatics] Fwd: Multimodal communication

Stephen Trouse Stephen.Trouse at flinders.vic.edu.au
Wed Sep 14 17:39:41 AEST 2016

:-D

From: informatics-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:informatics-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of ken price
Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2016 8:30 AM
To: Year 12 VCE Informatics Teachers' Mailing List <informatics at edulists.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Informatics] Fwd: Multimodal communication

So when the CIA talked about "dress code", they were being quite literal.

https://ageofsteam.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/the-secret-language-of-the-fan/ has a wonderful discussion of the secret language conveyed by fans in the Victorian era.

("Victorian fan language" in this case meaning how people in the era of Queen Victoria conveyed messages by using small hand-held air moving devices, not the abuse yelled by football fanatics in the lovely State of Victoria).

Examples:

Placing the fan behind the head, “Do not forget me.”

Fan in right hand in front of face, “Follow me.”

Twirl fan in the left hand, “We are being watched.”

Somewhere I also have the coded language used by ANARE expeditioners in the Antarctic in the 1950s and 1960s to convey messages back to their loved ones via the very limited bandwidth of the telegraph system. I found out about this when my father in law named his yacht YIKLA, which was the code for "this is the life".  Not sure how often that particular message was sent from midwinter Antarctica.
Ah - here it is  http://antarctica.kulgun.net/History/WYSSA/

Examples:

YIWOC = "I am setting out on a man-hauling sledge journey to <place>"
YITUB =  "I am not sure whether men training dogs or dogs training men"  (odd how similar this is to the similar-sounding "YouTube" 50 years later..)
YASKA "It has been very cold"  (for the Antarctic expeditioner who has little to say, I guess)
YOGIP = "Please send details of bank account"  (apparently there were Nigerian Princes giving away money in 1950s Antarctica too)

kp