[Informatics] Informatics data structures

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Sep 5 15:28:22 AEST 2016

Hi Quentin

Oooh. Your reference to "within and across sheets in spreadsheets" made me
think of worksheets, which may possibly be considered a 'structure'. Thanks!

I consider a 'structure' to be a defined and organised collection of more
primitive entities.
 - A record is a defined set of fields.
 - A table is an organised set of records.
 - A VLOOKUP table in Excel is a delimited selection of rows and columns.

With such a definition in mind, it is interesting that Excel does not treat
rows and columns as structures.
It does not recognise the concepts of fields or records, except when groups
of cells are defined in VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP formulae. (Are there others?)

AFAIK there is no spreadsheet function that can do something like
SUM(Column A) or AVERAGE(Row 32). Instead, the range of the relevant cells
must be enumerated, e.g. SUM(A1:Z10).

Happy I am to be contradicted

Yoda Mark

mark at vceit.com