[Informatics] Info exam - B1b - The Curse of Chen !

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 23 16:03:21 AEDT 2016

Hi Mark

Surely this is doable in terms of the drawing – to link customer and shoe with M:N and use the verb PURCHASES or BUYS:

Cardinality – The number of entities to which another entity can be associated through a relationship

The diagrams on the right show, in order:

one-to-one

one-to-many

many-to-one

many-to-many

[cid:image002.png at 01D245A3.161DE750]

I agree that the answer should be many to many (M:N) because of the use of the word customers rather than customer.  Many customer can buy Nike Air Jordans.  One customer can buy Reebok Pumps and Nike Air Jordans (but not in the same purchase).

This situation is where an ERD is going to differ to how the database is actually built. Whenever there’s a M:N, generally there’s a linking table created in the middle with the primary keys of the entities.  In this case the middle table could conceivably be the sales table that can then link the item and shoe and contain the sales date and amount values.  (But this would potentially make it an entity…shh)

I also agree there should be a sales table.  It’s part of a list of the types of databases (sales & customer, payments, music, bookings) that I teach my students to be ready for the exam (and real life).

Lucas